Despite the government’s best efforts to stop drunk driving completely, there continue to be widespread instances of drunk driving all around the country each day. Tragically, too many of these instances lead to terrible accidents and arrests. Accidents that result from drunk driving are often some of the most horrifying, and the consequences that can arise from being charged with a drunk driving arrest can be just as devastating.
Luckily, technological advances are being made to help prevent drunk driving accidents and the consequences that arise from them. In recent years, a number of new apps have been introduced that can help drivers everywhere.
The Apps That Could Save Your Life
Who knew smartphone apps would come such a long way? No longer do apps exist only to impress your friends and keep yourself entertained. Now, they can actually save lives. Here are some of the best apps that you should be sure to download before any big night out:
- How it works: Alcohoot turns your phone into a breathalyzer by using an accompanying device that plugs into your phone. Just attach the device to your phone with an audio jack, blow into it, and you’ll be able to see if you’re over or below the legal limit.
- Costs: The app is free to download, but the accompanying device costs $100.
- Rating: So far, Alcohoot has an average rating of 4.5 stars in both the Android and iOS app stores.
- How they work: There are a number of BAC estimators out there, but the two top contenders when it comes to apps are DrinkTracker for iOS and AlcoDroid for Android.
- Costs: AlcoDroid is free to download. DrinkTracker costs $1.99.
- Ratings: AlcoDroid has an average review of 4.3 stars in the Android app store. DrinkTracker has an average rating of 2.5 stars.
- How it works: Hailo helps you hail a cab by allowing you to do so directly from your phone. It even shows you where the nearest taxis are and allows you to watch their progress as they move closer to you.
- Cost: Hailo is free to download
- Rating: Both Android and iOS stores give Hailo 4.5 stars
- How it works: Steer Clear helps ensure that you and your car get home safe after a night of drinking. It sends your location to a team of two professional drivers who are then dispatched to come pick you up and drive you home safely in your own car. Currently, the app is only available in Manhattan, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
- Rating: 3.7 stars from the Android app store
- Cost: Steer Clear is free to download, but it comes with some hefty fees
In Case You Didn’t Download the Apps in Time…
It is promising to know that tools are constantly being developed that will help the lessen chances of getting into a car accident. Of course, none of these apps are foolproof, and the only surefire way to avoid a drinking and driving accident—and accompanying charges—is to refrain from drinking completely.
However, if you find yourself facing drinking and driving charges despite all the apps and all your best efforts, don’t panic. An experienced lawyer may still be able to help. If you have been arrested for DUI or DWAI, contact our law office today.