Denver Traffic Ticket Lawyer
Talk To An Attorney Before Paying Your Traffic Tickets
Far too many people in Denver have had some version of this happen:
You’re driving home from the office after a long day and listening to your favorite station to ease the stress of the day. It seems like luck is with you because traffic is pretty smooth and you’re making good time, until –
Lights. Sirens. At first, you don’t understand what’s happening and can’t imagine that it’s you, but the cop stays right on your tail, so after a few seconds you pull over and wait. Is a tail light out? “What’s the problem, officer?” you ask when the cop comes to your window, but he’s not interested in niceties and simply asks for your license and registration. Minutes pass while you wait, wondering, until he finally returns.
“You know how fast you were going?” he asks.
“No,” you answer honestly. “I thought I was going the speed limit.”
He hands you a ticket that disagrees – supposedly you were driving 10 MPH over the limit. You don’t quite buy it, but what do you do? Arguing with the cop seems like a bad idea, so you simply drive home, pull out your checkbook and pay it off, writing the incident off to bad luck. Don’t just accept your bad luck, hire a traffic ticket lawyer.
While you were smart not to get into a fight with the officer, paying off a ticket you don’t agree with is a mistake. Why? Because when you pay, you are automatically agreeing that you are guilty of the violation. This not only goes on your record, but will count as points against your license and likely raise your insurance premium – all for something you didn’t agree with in the first place!
Next time, instead of pulling out your checkbook, pick up your phone and give the Law Office of Kevin Cahill a call. Our Denver criminal lawyer has handled all kinds of traffic violation cases in Colorado and knows how to help you fight traffic tickets and win when you have to go to a DMV hearing.
And if you don’t think traffic violations are serious enough to warrant getting a lawyer, think again.
Why You Should Get a Lawyer to Fight Your Denver Traffic Ticket
Is it really worth it for you to fight back against your traffic violation? Absolutely – and here’s why:
- When you pay, you keep paying. As mentioned above, paying a traffic ticket is the same as admitting guilt. This means that you pay the actual cost of the ticket, the increase in your insurance premium that it costs you, and by having points put on your license if the ticket is for a moving violation.
- The cost is much higher than you think. Traffic tickets in Colorado vary quite a bit in cost depending not just on the violation in question, but also where you’re cited and who cites you. But regardless of the amount that is written on the actual ticket, what you’re going to end up paying is guaranteed to exceed that by a lot. Using speeding as an example, Nerdwallet determined that a $232 speeding ticket in Denver would really end up costing someone more than $654 after you add in the price of insurance rate hikes. And if it’s a situation where you end up losing your license, the cost can include things like money lost due to your inability to find a job or get to work. You need a speeding ticket lawyer…
- You won’t have to go to court. Many people decide not to fight against a traffic ticket even if they know it’s wrong because they don’t think that it’s worth the trouble of going to court. What they don’t know is that the requirement for you to appear in court can often be waived so that you don’t have to worry about it.
- You have a good chance of winning. There are all kinds of ways that you can fight a traffic violation and win, but you can only get the chance to do so if you fight the charge and get someone on your side who understands how the system works. Kevin Cahill, a Denver traffic violation defense attorney, knows how to fight traffic tickets and win.
Kevin Cahill Knows How to Fight Traffic Violations in Denver
There are all kinds of driving tickets that you can potentially get in Colorado, and all of them can be fought:
- Driving Under Suspension (DUS)
- Driving Under Revocation (DUR)
- Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI)
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
- Careless driving
- Auto accidents
- Failure to report an accident
- Leaving the scene of an accident
How exactly do you fight all of these different charges, some of which even come with criminal penalties? There are a variety of strategies out there and differences depending on the specifics of any given situation, but many of the same rules and defenses apply.
- A mistake was made by the officer. Police officers have to follow specific rules and protocols in order for a traffic violation to be valid. Did they fill out the ticket correctly? Explain everything to you that needed to be explained? Kevin Cahill knows the nuances of Colorado traffic law and will use them to your advantage.
- Measurement tools used to prove the violation were incorrect. You may have heard that breathalyzers used to record the level of alcohol in your body can make mistakes. This is very true – and it doesn’t just apply to breathalyzers, either. If you are pulled over because the officer used a speeding gun that said you were going too fast, there are ways to prove that the gun was wrong. Mr. Cahill has used his in-depth knowledge of these devices to help clients in the past, and he will use it for you, too, if he believes it will help your case.
- Civil rights were violated. Besides getting the administrative work right, police officers also have to make sure that they treat you by the book. If your rights were violated in any way, a smart traffic lawyer will be able to use this to help you.
Don’t just take a traffic violation lying down. It’s something that will always cost you more than you think if you simply give in and pay, and in some cases the consequences can be truly severe. You don’t want to end up losing your license – or having to go to jail – just because fighting back seemed too hard.
If you’re not sure what to do or where to turn, talk to someone with vast experience handling traffic violations around Colorado. All you have to do to set up a free initial consultation with Kevin Cahill is give him a call right now at (720) 548-2990. You can fight for yourself and win, but the first step is picking up the phone and deciding to try.